Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bandung, Indonesia 2011 and my Crab Pasta





stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Just when you thought owls come out only at night.... LOL! Owls on sale, RP30 000 each..

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Posing with our new shades...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Mum and I strolling along Cihampelas Street...

This year's trip was dedicated to my mum, with the itinerary entirely based on her interests. So most of the activities include shopping, eating and simply relaxing - it was awesome!. Bandung was great, just like my first visit in 2009. In fact, this time it was even better. I went to most of those "aunty's favourite" places! LOL!

Hotel

We stayed at the Aston Tropicana Cihampelas, located along the busy Cihampelas Street. Personally, the hotel is so strategically located - everything is just around the corner.
stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Enjoying the view of Cihampelas Street from the hotel window...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
The street at 12 midnight... just as busy...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
The breakfast buffet was awesome, with lots of choices and super friendly waiting staff. My most favourite from the buffet spread was the porridge. I had it almost every morning for starter - that's how yummy it was!

I rate this hotel "Excellent". Their staff were very helpful and friendly, while the hotel was generally very clean, and they threw in free shuttle transfers, too.

Food
I asked a friend in Bandung on how to differentiate halal food there. He said it's easy. Almost 95% of restaurants in Bandung are halal, unless u see a piggy sign at the shop entrance. So I put aside my health-conscious diet and went ahead to enjoy the food as much as I wanted! Here are some of my favourites...
stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Dinner at Sapu Lidi.

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
My favourite dish was Sapu Lidi's Nasi set and fish soup. Chicken grilled perfectly, tempe (fermented soy cake) fried exotically! I simply love the herbs-fried tempe!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Sapu Lidi from the outside. Luckily, it was just a 5-minute walk from our hotel. We walked into an empty restaurant only to find it packed to the brim half an hour later!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Cihampelas Walk.

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Lovely tree at Cihempelas Walk. Below are some of my favourite dishes at Cihampelas Walk:

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Nasi Bakar set. Luv the strong aroma of daun salam...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Nasi Ambeng Bali... extremely hot! Love it!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Srabi Polos... yum!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Otak-otak - so puffy!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Lamb Satay... these were perfectly grilled and so juicy! And the sauce was so heavenly!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
One of my favourite spots at Cihampelas Walk.

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
A friend of mine sells Somay Bandung at the cafe at Rumah Mode... so I gave it a try... No regrets!!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
The must-have Durian Coffee at Rumah Mode...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Fried chicken at Raja Nasi Padang...

stillwahdi.blogspot.com

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Freshly fried kerepek tempe at Cihempelas Street

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Another of my favourites - Banana Chips with cheese, and Spinach Chips.

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Mum waiting to skype, as we enjoyed some hot muffins at Cihempelas Walk's Starbucks.
( I forgot to take the pictures of the muffins - gone too soon!)

Hair Cut

As usual, I must have my haircut at my vacation location. So during this trip, I had one at Rudy Hadisurwarno's. Service was great, and the hairdresser was genuinely nice. Plus, they charged me only Rp 30, 000.00 (about RM10) for the haircut and wash!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com

stillwahdi.blogspot.com

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
At the lobby after my haircut. Love it!

Pasar Baru

Before we left the hotel for Pasar Baru, mum said she didn't know what to buy there. But once there, she spent almost all her Rupiahs in 15 minutes! So cute!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Busy with her day's purchases from Pasar Baru to pack home. While accompanying my mum shopping at Pasar Baru, I bought some pretty Japanese cotton pieces as food photography props. So here we go... Presenting my Crab Pasta and Lala Tempoyak!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
My crab pasta!

stillwahdi.blogspot.com
Same cotton piece used for a shot of my lala cili api with tempoyak. More cottons to come!

For the Crab Pasta:
1. Cook pasta in a large kettle of boiling water until al dente.
2. Drain well and place on a warm platter. Keep warm.
3. In heavy skillet over medium heat, place butter and oil. Add green onions, garlic, black pepper, bay leave and cream. Cook, stirring until mixture boils gently for 2 minutes.
4. Mix in lemon juice, crab meat and parsley. Cook, stirring just until crab is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pasta. Lift and mix pasta gently with grilled cherry brinjal.

4 comments:

Aan Andes said...

1) The owl so cute I want one!
2) The haircut is freaking cheap, and u look dashing in it.
3) I want the banana cheese n spinah chips too!

U know what, I baru je plan nak crab pasta. I had this one yummilicious crab pasta in Kyoto, and plan to cook it, giving a guess the ingredient, exactly like urs, only they add tomato puree a bit I think. Nnt I try, kalau jadi I tell u. Thanks for the inspiration!

gbeejipp said...

Thanks God I only read this after I had breakfast and not in the middle of the night. Otherwise I would hv ruined my no later supper policy. I'm esp interested in the kopi durian. Will definitely look for it when I go there.

cek chun said...

wahdi, its your skillet that make me drool. where can i get one?

wahdi said...

Aandes- thnx! btw, me too! I want a couple! hehehe oh pls let me know!

Hi JIPP, yes it's a must try!

Cek Chun, I bought it from IKEA :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin